June 13, 2010

FIFA Fever

Popular bands SNSD and Super Junior modeling appropriate attire
It dominates CNN and Korean TV ads, Music and fashion . . .
What is it?

It's the FIFA WORLD CUP!

Now, I'm as stoked as anyone about the most widely watched sporting event in the world, but I've never seen it like this before.
Every single ad in Korea now has some reference to how it can be used in relation to soccer; Belcube cheese cubes, ice cream, fried chicken, insurance, credit cards . . .  Music has suddenly taken on a 'let's go kick ass because we're the best' attidude and it's become almost politically incorrect to wear any color other than red. This is just in Korea, and I'm sure to some extent it's international, but this is my blog and I've only seen it in reference to the Fighting Reds. They certainly take this quote by Bill Shankly to heart:
"Some people think football is a matter of life and death. I assure you, it's much more serious than that."

Yesterday was the first Korean game against Greece, and though I didn't see it (only one channel here has live coverage, which is one of the few that we don't get), I sure heard it. They set up TV screens in the park near our house, and come game time, man were the restaurants doing good business. We could count the goals made and missed from two blocks away.

I don't think there's anything more invigorating as being in a place where the entire city of over 10 million people are watching the same event and cheering.
I'll keep you posted on how it goes if they lose to Argentina.

Nats

No comments:

Post a Comment