January 15, 2010

Haiti: the Stupid and the Pragmatic


As we all know, or at least I hope we do, there was a massive earthquake in Haiti on the 12th that measured 7.0 on the Richter scale and has killed, last time I checked, over 100,000 people. It's a tragedy, right? I certainly can't think of another way to call such a calamity, other than the two words I've just used. So it really saddened and angered me when I saw the YouTube Comments under a video of the aftermath. It was the only video I saw, but it featured people standing and looking at a building that had been totally flattened, all with shocked or confused expressions. I couldn't tell what function it had once held. It was obviously devastating for these people, who were, (OMG) black. What incensed me were the comments saying that the Haitians deserved it because they had made a deal with the Devil to earn their independence from France in 1804 and were now practicing Voodoo ( I later learned this was a paraphrasing of what Pat Robertson had said earlier, but since we don't have CNN I didn't know). There were other people telling others not to donate because the American (most posters were American, obviously) Economy is so bad, not realizing that the States have alienated almost all of its' allies in the region. A show of good faith would go a long way toward repairing the international community's opinion of the States.

There was a lot of praying that God would come help. I believe in God, and I'm not trying to bring someone down, but honestly, do they think that by praying God will help? I think, if you want to talk God, that it's a
test. Not a test of our faith, mind, but rather a test of our humanity and compassion. People who sit and pray that God (a.k.a. someone else) will help alleviate their suffering are failing this test, along with all the people who are denying it (like how Obama staged an earthquake ?!?!).

In tragedy our true colors are shown, and here we had racism come out, missionary aspirations, invalidation . . .
I know I've been in a bubble for a while, but are people really that cruel and insensitive? The people who actually expressed sympathy were greatly outnumbered by the 'haters', and it was disappointing to see genuine care disappear beneath the bile, but I suppose a the world is often like that. It really . . . saddened me to see, and needless to say, I'm not looking at comment boards again! Anonymity brings out the worst in people.

Simply put, just donate why don't you?

Nats

No comments:

Post a Comment