January 18, 2010

New People . . . .Eeek!

So, in the week and a half that I've been back at work, I've seen two more short-term volunteers come and go. The day I left, another girl came, but she was gone by the time I got back, so she doesn't matter. Ironically, we're not supposed to take volunteers for less than three months. I suppose my current neighbour isn't that short term, she's just short term in Bangkok; she's going south to the island where Mercy runs a school and other facilities to improve the lives of the sea gypsy (Mogun) who inhabit it. She seems nice, if not just a bit creepy hippy/backpacker, but nice enough.

I don't know about you, but meeting new people freaks me out, so having to stay with a new person for such a short time in such close quarters makes me feel very uncomfortable.

I have to go to a gathering of Bahai's tonight, and yes, again, I'm scared. I've spent the last few nights trying to figure out what I should wear, and imagining little snippets of conversations. Yes, I obsess about social situations and analyze almost everything. Sure, I hate it, but I can't stop. Anybody have any ideas on how to deal with what could count as an anxiety attack? I'll tell you how it goes tomorrow.

Nats

P.S. Don't forget to wear red on Tuesday for Haiti. Such a small thing, do you think you could show how we're all human and subject to the elements?

Nats

No comments:

Post a Comment